March 3 to June 5, 2017
MISSING: Der Turm der blauen Pferde by Franz Marc
Contemporary artists in search of a lost masterpiece
Rumor has had it for decades that “Der Turm der blauen Pferde” (1913) by Franz Marc was last seen at Haus am Waldsee in Berlin after World War Two. Its whereabouts remain a subject of speculation. Only a coloured study in form of a postcard has survived and is now part of the collection of the Graphische Sammlung in Munich.
Twenty contemporary artists are searching in Berlin and Munich for the lost masterpiece, that was part of the collection of the Neue Abteilung in the Nationalgalerie Berlin until 1936 and has been missing since then until today. More
Fig.: Marcel van Eeden, High Mountains, a Rainbow, the Moon and Stars, 2016
Series of 26 drawings
Nero pencil on laid paper
Courtesy Galerie Barbara Seiler
Haus am Waldsee is growing, not just in the garden
From June 15, 2017 we will expand and renovate the Haus am Waldsee. For this reason, after the closing of the exhibition “MISSING Der Turm der blauen Pferde by Franz Marc”, all events will take place outside. The Sculpture Park at the Waldsee waterside and the pavilions in the garden are open to our visitors, as long as the construction work allows it. Please keep informed about our special program and the development of the building works on our website.
The villa at Argentinische Allee 30, today’s “Haus am Waldsee”,wasconstructed in 1922 and a venue for international exhibitions of contemporary art since January 1946. It will berenovated from July 2017 until July 2018. Made possible by the support of the German Lottery Foundation (Deutsche Klassenlotterie) building works will include the reconstruction of an old part of the house, destroyed in 1945, the renovation of all rooms in the old building and the installation of an outside elevator, to give barrier-free access to our exhibitions also to older people and visitors with handicaps.
For the re-opening in 2018,exhibitions with Karin Sander, Tobias Rehberger, Ammar al-Beik and Lynn Chadwick are in the making.
Fig.: Grunwald architects.
We will be open again to the public from March 3 until June 5 with the new exhibition MISSING Der Turm der blauen Pferde by Franz Marc.