Opening of Haus am Waldsee on 6 January 1946
On January 6, 1946, Haus am Waldsee was opened with works by Käthe Kollwitz. The artist Ewald Vetter acted as curator. He also managed to include “Die Klage” (The Lament), the sculpture that can be seen today in the central memorial to the victims of war and expulsion “Neue Wache” Unter den Linden. A string quartet of the Berlin Philharmonic Orchestra played at the opening 75 years ago. The co-founder of Tagesspiegel and former Reichskunstwart, Edwin Redslob, was touched and enthusiastic by that first exhibition.
Read the article, published at Tagesspiegel on 6 January 1946.